Your accountant is a very important part of your professional advisory team. Have a seasoned professional oversee the financial side of your business and spend your time doing what you do best – running and growing your business.
Let’s meet to discuss how our team can help you.
- Compilation (Notice to Reader)
- Bookkeeping (monthly/quarterly/annual)
- Remittances and filings (including GST/HST/PST, WCB, T4s, monthly source deductions)
- Cash flow analysis and projections
- Budgeting, including variance analysis
- Tax return preparation for corporations, individuals, and trusts
- Tax planning for corporations, individuals, and trusts
- Tax effects of starting/buying/selling a business
- Corporate reorganizations
- Scientific Research & Experimental Development tax credits
- Incorporation vs. sole proprietorship
- Consulting on purchase or sale of a business
- Business start-up or expansion
- Business process improvement
- Accounting software selection, implementation and training
- Internal control assessment
- Free up your time, allowing you to focus on running and growing your business
- Provide a clearer, more understandable picture of the financial side of your business by tailoring your financial reporting and analysis to the unique needs of your business
- Enhance decision-making capability through comprehensive, accurate and timely financial reporting and analysis
- Provide a readily available sounding board intimately familiar with your business to help you with those tough business decisions
- Establish strong financial controls in your business to reduce potential employee theft and increase profits
- Train and manage your accounting staff
- Prepare and monitor budgets, including variance analysis
- Provide effective cash management
- Review/negotiate insurance policies
- Develop company accounting procedure manuals
- Analyse projected capital asset acquisitions (lease vs. buy), expansions and other significant business decisions
Kevin is a Chartered Professional Accountant with an Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree from Laurentian University and experience in both public practice accounting and industry. His public practice experience was gained with three different Vancouver Island public accounting firms, where he was fortunate enough to have helped serve small and medium-sized businesses in virtually every industry on the south Island. His industry experience was acquired as CFO of a Victoria-based engineering and technology firm specializing in the design and manufacture of data acquisition systems and test equipment for the aerospace and instrumentation industries.
Kevin grew up on a dairy farm south of Duncan, which instilled in him a solid work ethic. Managing the day-to-day operations of the farm in his late teens and early twenties taught him invaluable lessons about what it takes to run a business successfully and gave him first-hand knowledge of what small business owners go through day in and day out. Prior to settling on a career in accounting, he was a proprietary trader for a Canadian securities firm and a hedge fund, giving him an in-depth understanding of equity and capital markets.
Kevin brings to the table a solid academic and financial background as well as first-hand business experience which enables him to not only organize and analyse the numbers but know what those numbers represent in a real-world, everyday context.
Liz is a Chartered Professional Accountant (registered in Ontario and BC) with a Bachelor of Arts, Honours Business Administration from the Richard Ivey School of Business. Her experience includes positions as Audit Manager (conducting audits across a variety of industries) and Forensics Client Manager with Deloitte in both London, Ontario and Sydney, Australia. As a Forensic Client Manager, Liz specialized in forensic investigations into financial fraud and misconduct. Subsequently, Liz turned her focus to risk management becoming Senior Operational Risk Manager with ING Investment Management in Sydney, Australia and NN Investment Partners in The Hague, Netherlands. In this role, Liz provided consulting and assistance to the business to embed successful risk and control frameworks, and her speciality was leading the Internal Controls Framework and establishing the business’s Anti-Fraud Program, amongst other activities. She now brings this varied and deep experience to her work with our corporate and business clients.
Liz was born and raised in Ontario to a Portuguese emigrated family but, after living abroad for almost 15 years, decided to settle in the Cowichan Valley in 2016 with her husband to raise their young son and daughter. She can often be seen with her family enjoying the many outdoor activities available in the Cowichan Valley such as hiking and swimming. Liz loves to travel, but is also continuing to discover everything Vancouver Island living has to offer. She is an active volunteer for events at her children’s school and serves as Treasurer of the Parent Advisory Council.
Manager of Bookkeeping Services
Jessica graduated from Redeemer University in 2016 with a Bachelor of Arts in Business Management and a minor in History. After spending a number of years working in the external reporting department of a large green power and utilities corporation in Ontario, Jessica began to miss the oceans and mountains of her native BC, prompting her and her husband to move to Vancouver Island in early 2019. Shortly thereafter, Jessica accepted a bookkeeper position with Westwick & Associates and quickly discovered a passion for working with small businesses. In her current role, Jessica oversees all of the firm’s bookkeeping functions with a focus on onboarding new clients. In her spare time, Jessica enjoys hiking, backpacking and car camping all over BC, as well as playing and coaching volleyball, travelling, and spending time with friends and family.
Debbie completed the Introduction to Financial Accounting program from Athabasca University in 2010, and has eight years of full-cycle small business bookkeeping experience in both public practice and industry. Having grown up on a dairy farm, she acquired not only a strong work ethic, but also a firsthand knowledge of the benefits, challenges and discipline required to run a small business. Debbie is happy to now have the opportunity to apply these skills working with small business owners and employees to serve their day-to-day bookkeeping needs. Outside of work, Debbie enjoys the year-round outdoor lifestyle that Vancouver Island offers to her, her husband and three kids, allowing her to partake in mountain biking, hiking, running and boating in the warmer months, followed by more biking and skiing throughout the winter.
Laura holds her Certified Human Resources Professional (CPHR) designation and has over 28 years of combined administrative and human resources experience gained from her roles within the legal profession, the utilities and recycling/waste management industries, and most recently local government in the Cowichan Valley. Laura is responsible for managing various administrative and communications functions that support our accounting practice. Outside of work, Laura enjoys spending time with her family and having opportunities to explore her musical interests which include playing the piano, singing, and (most recently) tap dancing. Since moving to Duncan in 2008, Laura has been an avid supporter and member of the Cowichan Musical Society, both on and off the stage.
Contact Westwick & Associates Inc.