Your accountant is a very important part of your professional advisory team. Have a seasoned professional oversee the financial side of your business and spend your time doing what you do best – running and growing your business.
Let’s meet to discuss how I can help you.
Accounting and Assurance:
From bookkeeping through to year-end, let me focus on filing deadlines and data entry so you can focus on your business. I will provide you with the reliable, accurate and timely financial information you require to make informed business decisions and help free up the time you need to properly focus on running your business.
- Compilation (Notice to Reader) and Review Engagements
- Bookkeeping (monthly/quarterly/annual)
- Remittances and filings (including GST/HST/PST, WCB, T4s, monthly source deductions)
- Cash flow analysis and projections
- Budgeting, including variance analysis
- Accounting software, including Sage 50 (Simply Accounting) and Quickbooks
Effective tax planning is all about minimizing both current and future tax liabilities. In today’s ever changing landscape it is crucial to stay current on new tax law and legislation in order to identify key tax planning opportunities to minimize those liabilities. Here are some of the tax services I provide.
- Return preparation for individuals, corporations, trusts and estates
- Tax planning for individuals, corporations, trusts and estates
- Retirement tax planning
- Tax effects of starting/buying/selling a business
- Corporate reorganizations
- Scientific Research & Experimental Development tax credits
- GST/HST/PST assistance
There are many business situations and decisions where the advice of a knowledgeable professional can be very helpful. Here are a few such areas where I can provide assistance.
- Consulting on purchase or sale of a business
- Business start-up or expansion
- Business process improvement
- Financial and retirement planning
- Estate planning and administration
- Tax audits and appeals
- Accounting software selection, implementation and training
- Internal control assessment
Every business can benefit from having an experienced CFO on its team, though few can afford the C-suite salary. It is hard to quantify the comfort that comes from knowing a professional is overseeing the financial side of your business or the value of focusing more of your time and energy on running your business. As a member of your team I can:
- Free up your time, allowing you to focus on running and growing your business
- Provide a clearer, more understandable picture of the financial side of your business by tailoring your financial reporting and analysis to the unique needs of your business
- Enhance decision-making capability through comprehensive, accurate and timely financial reporting and analysis
- Provide a readily available sounding board intimately familiar with your business to help you with those tough business decisions
- Establish strong financial controls in your business to reduce potential employee theft and increase profits
- Train and manage your accounting staff
- Prepare and monitor budgets, including variance analysis
- Assist in preparing business plans, including defining, quantifying and tracking short-, intermediate- and long-term goals and performance
- Provide effective cash management
- Review/negotiate insurance policies
- Develop company accounting procedure manuals
- Analyse projected capital asset acquisitions (lease vs. buy), expansions and other significant business decisions
I am a Chartered Professional Accountant with an Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree from Laurentian University and experience in both public practice accounting and industry. My public practice experience was gained with three different Vancouver Island public accounting firms, where I was fortunate enough to have helped serve small and medium-sized businesses in virtually every industry we have on the south Island. My industry experience came as CFO of a Victoria-based engineering and technology firm specializing in the design and manufacture of data acquisition systems and test equipment for the aerospace and instrumentation industries.
I grew up on a dairy farm south of Duncan, which instilled in me a solid work ethic. Managing the day to day operations of the farm in my late teens and early twenties taught me invaluable lessons about what it takes to run a business successfully and gave me first-hand knowledge of what small business owners go through day in and day out. On my way to settling on a career in accounting I was a proprietary trader for a Canadian securities firm and a hedge fund, giving me an in-depth understanding of our equity and capital markets.
I bring to the table a solid academic and financial background as well as first-hand business experience which enables me to not only organize and analyse the numbers but know what those numbers represent in a real-world every day context.
Contact Kevin Westwick, CPA, CGA
202B - 55 Canada Avenue,